Next: Support for generic library
Up: Basic translation
Previous: Translating reference equality
The keyword null can appear in various contexts where it
must be promoted to a multiarray-valued expression. Specifically these
In these contexts, the (trivial) translation functions are
given in Figure A.44.
- on the right-hand-side of an assignment expression
(section A.4.10), where the
variable on the left-hand-side is a multiarray variable,
- as one operand of a reference equality test (section
A.4.23), where the other operand
is a multiarray value,
- as the operand of a cast (section A.4.21)
to a multiarray type, or
- as the operand of an instanceof test (section
A.4.22) for a multiarray typeA.7.
- as the argument of a method or constructor, where a multiarray parameter
- as the expression in a return statement, where the method has
multiarray return type.